Byhiras is a technology company which provides a solution to transparency and accountability in investments. It aggregates data at the most granular level from source, validates the data and enables users to disseminate proprietary information throughout the investment management supply chain.
Investors are demanding stronger governance and greater value for money. Byhiras gives investors the information and tools to evaluate investments and enables managers and other service providers to differentiate their services and demonstrate their value.
Byhiras also provides the cost transparency compliance and validation system for the Local Government Pension Scheme Advisory Board. Through this system, all the local authority pension scheme funds and pooling vehicles across the United Kingdom are able to access cost data disclosed by their asset managers in accordance with the SAB Code of Transparency. Further information on the system is available at: https://lgps.byhiras.com/.
Byhiras is independent and conflict-free. It provides no advice, judgement or opinions and its services are overseen by Byhiras Trust, which acts in the interests of users to ensure that Byhiras delivers and maintains the quality of those services, and remains independent.
The Byhiras platform aggregates and validates data from all parties in the investment supply chain, including financial data, mandates and organisational data and then provides users with the means to extract the information they need. Its collaboration tools also allow investors, managers and the whole range of other service providers to pool and share data and to set and modify agreements on such bases as they determine.
This serves to address the imbalance of information and control between parties in the investment supply chain, from underlying investment to the end investor, and provides a solution to the collection and hosting of data, its analysis and wider reporting across the supply chain.
Users of the platform gain access to: tools to integrate and submit data; permissioning tools to share their data selectively; analytics and complex modelling tools; alerting functionality; and collaboration tools to set, modify and enforce rules.
What is Byhiras?
Byhiras is a technology company which provides a solution to transparency and accountability in investments. Its platform enables organisations such as pension funds and asset managers to aggregate data at the most granular level and disseminate validated information about the costs incurred by their investment activities.
Why is Byhiras needed?
Institutional investors and allocators are taking more responsibility for their investments and so are demanding more detailed information on their holdings, so that they can make more informed decisions, more accurately report to their clients and demonstrate value for money. Byhiras gives investors the information and tools to evaluate investments and enables managers and other service providers to differentiate their services and demonstrate their value.
What benefits does Byhiras provide for its users?
Byhiras benefits all parties in the investment management supply chain, including investors, managers, consultants and other service providers, by making the process transparent and accountable. It allows investors to know where and how their money is being invested; financial intermediaries to receive all the information required to assess value for money; and investment managers to demonstrate their value while protecting the confidentiality of their investment strategies.
What makes Byhiras different?
Byhiras is differentiated by:
- Its proprietary technology, which can handle an unlimited scope of data and data types, enabling full discovery of all investment activities;
- Its contributors retaining full control of their data and determining what information they share, with whom and at what level of granularity, frequency and delay, preventing the distribution of data to any party without permission;
- Its collaboration tools, which enable parties to refine the investment mandate in response to the information made visible about the services provided, providing a framework for increased accountability;
- Its independence and impartiality as a data aggregator, which is overseen by Byhiras Trust.
What is Byhiras Trust?
Byhiras Trust is an independent supervisory structure created to ensure that Byhiras remains free from conflict of interest and adheres to its core principles of impartiality and independence. Led by senior professionals with deep experience in the investment industry, Byhiras Trust provides independent oversight of Byhiras’ services and ensures these are delivered to the highest standard, without gaining access to the underlying data.
Why do you need Byhiras Trust?
In order to successfully improve transparency and accountability within the investment management supply chain, it is necessary to aggregate large amounts of data. Byhiras is committed to remaining impartial in order to avoid any potential conflicts of interest issues that may arise in its role as a data aggregator. Byhiras Trust provides independent oversight of this.
What does the name Byhiras mean?
The origin of the name Byhiras is the Aramaic word for the transparency of a perfect diamond.
S.A.M. LustyCEO & Founder
Sam is the CEO of Byhiras and founded the company following a career in the City in anticipation of the growing demand for transparency and accountability in investment management.
Sam has 25 years’ capital markets experience, first at Salomon Brothers as a fixed income trader and latterly at UBS in complex OTC derivatives. He set up, and was global co-head of, alternative investments at Dresdner Kleinwort Benson. Sam also qualified as a chartered accountant at Price Waterhouse.
Rachel is the CAO of Byhiras. She joined from Macfarlanes LLP, the law firm, where she was a partner. Her practice covered a broad range of corporate work including public takeovers, private acquisitions and disposals, public equity offerings, private fundraising and joint ventures with a significant focus on the financial services sector.
The Lord Davies of Abersoch, CBEChairman
Lord Davies of Abersoch is Chairman of Byhiras.
Lord Davies was U.K. Minister for Trade, Investment and Small Business and Infrastructure in 2009-2010. Prior to this appointment, he was Chairman of Standard Chartered PLC. He joined the Board of Standard Chartered PLC in 1997 and was Group Chief Executive from 2001 until 2006.
He has a wide range of interests, including his roles as Chairman of Corsair, one of the leading private equity firms focussed on global growth opportunities in financial services, Chairman of LetterOne and senior independent director at Diageo.
In 2002, Lord Davies was awarded a CBE for his services to the financial sector and the community in Hong Kong, where he served as a member of the HK Exchange fund for seven years.
Sir Simon Robertson
Sir Simon was formerly Managing Director of Goldman Sachs International, Chairman of Dresdner Kleinwort Benson, non-executive Chairman of Rolls Royce Holdings plc and Deputy Chairman and senior independent non-executive director of HSBC Holdings plc.
He is the founding partner of Simon Robertson Associates LLP and a non-executive director of Troy Asset Management Limited, Evercore Inc. and Immodulon Therapeutics. He is also a Trustee of the Royal Opera House Endowment Fund and President of the Légion d’Honneur UK Chapter.
Alan spent 28 years at McKinsey & Co where he was head of the financial services practice in UK, Europe and the Middle East. He was also a board member of the McKinsey investment office which manages about $8 billion of staff and partner retirement and investment products.
Alan is the Chairman of MMC and co-founded the business in 2000. He is a member of the investment committee and leads MMC’s financial services focus. Alan chairs AdFisco, an advisory company focused on financial services and, in addition to his role at Byhiras, is a Non-Executive Director of a number of companies including Nivaura, Funding Options and Bloom & Wild.
Hani is the Managing Director of Olayan Europe Limited. He is the Global Co-Head of Private Equity and the Global Head of Real Estate for The Olayan Group. In addition, Hani is a member of the Global Management Team of The Olayan Group. He has been with Olayan since 1996 and currently sits on a number of Boards on behalf of the Group.
Jake is Managing Director of Sir Lloyd Dorfman’s family office where he focuses on private equity investments, primarily in growth businesses. He serves on the board of several investee companies, including Media Finance Capital, Doddle Parcel Services and Untold Studios.
Prior to that, Jake was Co-CEO of Fleming Family and Partners’ Advisory business. He joined Fleming Family and Partners in January 2003, and was involved in a range of transactions including managing the consortium of investors in Resolution Life plc, the acquisition of Heesen Yachts and advising on a number of private equity investments. Before joining Fleming Family and Partners, Jake spent three years in investment banking at Robert Fleming before moving to the consumer products investment banking team at Lehman Brothers.
Ronnie is the former senior partner at Hymans Robertson and has been the Scheme Actuary and Investment Adviser to a number of large private and public sector schemes.
He holds a number of other chairmanship roles, including the Royal Bank of Scotland Pension Scheme, the With Profits Committee of the Prudential Assurance Corporation and the court of the University of Dundee. Ronnie is also a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and former President of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
The Baroness Drake, CBE
Baroness Drake is a Labour peer and vice chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Pensions.
She was formerly a President of the TUC, Commissioner of the Equal Opportunities Commission and of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, a member of the Turner Pensions Commission, on the Board of the Pension Protection Fund, acting chair of the Personal Accounts Delivery Authority, Chair of the Railway Pension Commission, on the Board of the Pensions Advisory Service and a trustee of the Santander pension scheme.
Baroness Drake is currently an independent member of the Private Equity Reporting Group, a trustee of the Telefonica O2 pension scheme and an independent member of the ENGIE UK Scrutiny Board.
Julius has 20 years’ executive experience within the insurance and asset management industries. He has a further 15 years’ experience of providing independent investment and pension governance to a variety of organisations.
Julius is a member of the Board Investment Committee and Chairman of the Investment Advisory Committee at Royal London Group. He is also a member of the Prudential With-Profits Committee, a director of the trustee of the RBS Defined Contribution Scheme and Independent Chair of the DC Governance Committee at Heineken.
Until recently, Julius was a trustee member of NEST Corporation where he chaired both the Investment and Risk Committees.
You will be joining a diverse team of developers, DevOps and quants with a lively, start-up culture. Development is agile, fast paced and test driven. Sprints are one week long and feedback instant. Bureaucracy is kept to a minimum to maximise time for development. We encourage the adoption of the latest technologies and you will participate fully in the evolving architecture.
Front End Engineer
We are growing our UI team to develop new features for our exciting frontend product built in React, as well as maintaining existing features and occasionally porting features from a legacy Angular codebase. Additionally we are responsible for our GraphQL API built in node.js and Apollo to interact with a microservice backend layer. The team's mandate is to create an entirely new user experience and engineer the UI with the best and latest technologies. more...
We have a growing requirement for core Java developers at all levels who have excellent technical abilities and ambition. You will be working on a range of challenging projects using Java 8 and big data technologies.
What we look for
- Deep core Java knowledge: we build high throughput services where performance is critical
- TDD: we deploy every week so continuous integration is pivotal
- Communication: you must be able to explain concepts to non-developers as well as peers
- Financial markets: knowledge of trading and operations in any asset class, market data, risk, accounting or fund administration is advantageous (though not essential)
- Big data: Apache Flink and Hadoop MR
- Open source: Junit 5, Mockito, AutoValue, Avro, Jersey, Jackson
- Environment: Linux, GitHub, Jenkins and Maven
- Infrastructure: Zookeeper, Redis, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker and Puppet
Front End Engineer
We are growing our UI team to develop new features for our exciting frontend product built in React, as well as maintaining existing features and occasionally porting features from a legacy Angular codebase. Additionally we are responsible for our GraphQL API built in node.js and Apollo to interact with a microservice backend layer. The team's mandate is to create an entirely new user experience and engineer the UI with the best and latest technologies.
TypeScript / React / Redux / Styled Components / Apollo GraphQL / Webpack / Jest / Cypress / Prettier
What we look for
- Experience of backend systems such as node.js, GraphQL and REST
- UX and visual design skills are a plus
- Work with the product team to prototype and deliver features for the UI
- Collaborate with server side developers to add new features
- Be responsible for visual consistency of the UI
- Exposure to cutting edge frontend technology
- Joining a small team with influence over the end product and technical decision making
- Agile development with bi-weekly sprints
We are building a new UI team to completely re-design our product. We are creating a rich desktop web app experience for visualising financial data.
What we look for
- Strong visual design skills
- Experience creating web app interfaces
- UX and prototyping skills (eg Axure, InVision, Sketch)
- Data visualisation experience (large tables, complex charts)
- Knowledge of CSS and HTML a plus
- Knowledge of financial markets a plus
- Work closely with the product team and UI developers to prototype a new look and feel for the UI
- Produce visual designs and prototypes using an appropriate program like Sketch
- Working with Front End Engineers to create finished product
- Joining a small team
- Agile development, 2 week sprints
- Chance to have a big impact on a new product
We are looking for quantitative developers to architect, develop and maintain our quantitative analytics infrastructure, enhance our pricing and risk models, expand our product coverage and build out our portfolio analysis toolset. You will work as a member of the quant team, on our multi-asset class valuation library and portfolio risk and analytics library, both developed in C++, and collaborate with peers in other teams to drive the requirements for all analytical aspects of the platform.
What we look for
- Financial markets experience in at least one asset class
- Practical and theoretical experience of asset pricing and risk modelling approaches
- Understanding of data modelling, especially of financial instruments
- Excellent core C++ skills
- Working knowledge of Java and/or Python
- Able to transform requirements into high quality, functional deliveries
- Ability to take ownership and deliver in an agile, rapidly changing environment
- Experience of modern patterns for continuous delivery of software
- Track record of delivering robust, performant quantitative analytics solutions to production use
- Strength in communicating results to collaborative project teams and management
- Desire to actively improve team development processes and mentor junior engineers
Skills & Technologies
- Programming in C++ (ideally C++11 or later), STL, QuantLib, Boost, CMake, SWIG
- Test-driven development (TDD), Unit-testing, Functional-testing, Integration-testing
- Agile Development, Code Review, Distributed VCS, Github Enterprise
- Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment (CI-CD), Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes
We are a cross disciplinary team dedicated to delivering a robust multi-tenant cluster serving customers in production and devs in the office. We sit with the core app team, participating in the daily scrum and weekly releases. We are passionate about our automated continuous integration and provisioning which covers the full stack from OS install through to UI and regression testing then production deployment.
You will participate in developing new capabilities including continuous deployment, data centre affinity and workload management. You will contribute to improvements in build, performance, security, operating systems, networking and monitoring. You are already an expert in one of these disciplines and can persuade others to follow your lead. You believe in the agile approach of breaking long term projects into small deliveries to achieve rapid changes. You are keen on learning more and contributing your knowledge back to your peers inside and outside the office.
- OS: Red Hat Linux, bare metal and virtual machines
- Provisioning: Puppet, Kickstart, RPM
- Languages: Bash, Ruby, Python, Java, Clojure
- Security: Kerberos, SELinux, LDAP
- Big Data: HDFS, Flink, Kafka
- Containers: Docker, KVM
- Schedulers: YARN, Kubernetes
- CI/CD: Jenkins
Apply for Job
Thank you for your job application. We will reply to you shortly.
Please read this Policy carefully. This Policy sets out our data collection and processing practices. It explains what personal data we collect, how we process that personal data and what your rights are in relation to the personal data. By visiting www.byhiras.com (the “Website”) you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this Policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Byhiras (Europe) Limited of 15 -16 St Helen's Place, London EC3A 6DE.
The following data about you and other persons may be collected and processed:
- Information you provide. You may submit information through the ‘Apply for Job’ feature of the Website. This includes your name, e-mail addresses, and any information you choose to provide in the ‘Short Introduction’ section of the ‘Apply for Job’ feature. Please note that all information submitted through the ‘Apply for Job’ feature will be collected and stored securely in the United States of America by SurveyMonkey and transmitted to us via e-mail.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information we collect in the following ways:
- to administer the Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and statistical survey purposes;
- to address any queries that you may send us through the ‘Apply for Job’ feature on the Website;
- for recruitment purposes;
- to ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for users and for their computers; and
- as part of our security procedures.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We may share your information and/or information you give us about you or other persons with:
- any member of our group. For the purposes of this Policy, our ‘group’ means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006; and
- selected third parties including business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you or such other persons.
We may disclose your information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if Byhiras (Europe) Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about users of the Website may be one of the transferred assets;
- in the event that we are in discussions with any third party in relation to any prospective investment by such third party in us or any in any member of our group, in which case we may disclose your personal data to such third party; and/or
WHERE WE STORE PERSONAL DATA
Please note that the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and transmission of information to the Website by you is at your own risk. We cannot guarantee the security of such information, though we will endeavour to protect it by using security procedures and features to try to prevent loss, theft or unauthorised access.
The Website may contain links to and from third party websites. We have no control over and do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy policies or practices of these websites. Please check these policies and practices before you submit any personal data to these websites.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. You may request a copy of such information at our registered address but please note that there may be a fee of £10 to cover our costs in complying with your request.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
If we make any changes to this Policy we will amend this page. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Policy.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Policy please address them to us at our registered address.
www.byhiras.com (the “Website”) is a website operated by Byhiras (Europe) Limited (“we” or “us”).
By using the Website, you confirm that you accept and agree to comply with these Terms.
We may revise these Terms at any time by amending this page. Please check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we made, as they are binding on you.
You must not use the Website:
- if you do not agree to these Terms;
- for any purpose that is unlawful or in breach of these Terms; or
- in any manner that may cause harm to our reputation.
Your right to access the Website and all other rights granted to you under these Terms will terminate immediately if you are in breach of any of these Terms.
OTHER APPLICABLE TERMS
These Terms refer to the following additional terms, which also apply to your use of the Website:
- any additional terms which may apply to the use of particular parts of the Website.
ACCESSING THE WEBSITE
We do not guarantee that the Website, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to the Website is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part or feature of the Website without notice and at our sole discretion. We will not be liable to you for such suspension, withdrawal, discontinuance or change, or if for any reason the whole or any part or feature of the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology and computer programmes and to make all other arrangements you may require in order to use the Website. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access the Website through your internet connection are aware of these Terms, and that they comply with them.
We may update the Website from time to time, and may change the content at any time.
SUBMITTING CONTENT TO THE WEBSITE
Whenever you make use of the ‘Apply for Job’ feature or any other feature that allows you to submit information or other content to or through the Website or to make contact with us, you must comply with these Terms.
You warrant that any such content is accurate and complies with these Terms and with all applicable laws, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of this warranty.
Any content you submit to or through the Website will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary, and we have the right to use, copy, distribute and disclose to third parties any such content for any purpose.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content submitted by you constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
You may not use the Website in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect, or is in breach of these Terms.
You also agree not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of the Website;
- any equipment or network on which the Website is stored;
- any software used in the provision of the Website; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in the Website, and in any and all content and material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may display the Website on a computer screen or mobile device. You may print off one copy, or download or copy extracts, of any page(s) from the Website for your personal use, but you may not create any database thereof. You may not republish, redistribute, sell, market, lease, charge, deal in, encumber, store, retransmit, sublicense, decompile, reverse engineer or provide to any person any content or materials on the Website. You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
If you print off, copy, download or use any part of the Website in breach of these Terms, your right to use the Website will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
We do not guarantee that the Website will be secure or free from bugs or viruses. You should use your own virus protection software.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the Website or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
You must not misuse the Website by transmitting any data or sending, submitting or uploading any materials that contain, or otherwise introducing, viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to or interfere with the normal functioning of the Website, the server on which the Website is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the Website. You must not attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
You must not frame the Website on any other website, nor may you create a link or deep link to the Website or any part of the Website.
Where the Website contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over, and assume no responsibility for, the contents of those sites or resources. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
NO RELIANCE ON INFORMATION
The content on the Website is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to professional, financial, investment or other advice or to marketing of any financial instruments. You must obtain appropriate professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any investment decision or other action in reliance on or on the basis of any content on the Website.
We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied (whether by statute, common law or otherwise), that the Website or any content on the Website is accurate, complete, up-to-date or free from errors or omissions.
We do not accept any liability, howsoever arising, for any claim, loss or damages arising out of or in connection with:
- any advice given, taken or inferred;
- any investment decision made;
- any investment, sale, purchase or other transaction carried out; or
- any other action taken or not taken,
in reliance on or on the basis of any content on the Website.
LIMITATION OF OUR LIABILITY
Nothing in these Terms excludes or limits our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, or for our fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited by English law.
To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to the Website or any content on it, whether express or implied.
We will not be liable to any user for any:
- indirect or consequential loss or damage;
- loss (whether direct or indirect) of or damage to profits, savings, sales, revenue, anticipated savings, business, opportunity, reputation or goodwill;
- loss (whether direct or indirect) of or damage to any data or equipment or any business interruption; or
- other loss or damage,
whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with any use of, inability to use or reliance on the Website or any content thereon.
These Terms are governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Any disputes or claims arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
If you have any enquiries or complaints about the Website, then please address them to us at our registered address.
We are a limited liability company registered in England and Wales under company number 07646016 and have our registered office at 15 -16 St Helen's Place, London EC3A 6DE.
We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.